Thursday, March 10, 2011

Letting Go

Since November last year I've been dealing with a pretty debilitating wrist injury brought on by overuse and neglect. Today I received an email from a fellow yoga teacher asking for advice on how to deal with her current injury. She wanted to know how I taught and practiced yoga while injured. Reading this email today reminded me how I went through the same emotional distress over my injury, asking the same exact questions as she is. How will I be able to do yoga? How will I teach? I don't have time for this right now, this is so inconvenient!

It's hard being injured. It always seems to happen at the most inopportune time. Or does it? Sometimes when we least want to, we must make ourselves slow down and let go. I continued to push on with my life until my wrist got to the point of no return. My wrist became the voice of reason telling me to slow down. It had to scream out at me in pain in order for me to listen. Eventually I did. I went to the doctor, swallowed my ego, and finally relinquished and let go.

In the end, even though I hate to be injured, it has taught me a valuable lesson. To listen to my body and not over do it. Slowing down not only in yoga but in every activity of life allows you to be in the here and now. If you are constantly racing from point A to point B without taking the time to enjoy the journey in between then you must ask yourself what is life good for anyway. It's always during the moments in between points A and B that life happens.

So as you're rushing through your life tomorrow, take a breath, pause at the top of the breath, and remember to relish in the moment, before you exhale and get to the end of your breath and to the end of your life.

Remember to let go,
Namaste~
Chica

No comments: